Sunday, November 6, 2011

LA Galaxy and Houston Dynamo Advance to MLS Cup Final

Well, my predictions for the conference finals SUCKED. So I picked my home club, and I thought Sporting KC would actually show up. Sue me.

Ok, so yes, Sporting DID show up. They attacked and put some pressure on the Dynamo. However when it came to actually getting scoring chances, they didn't have much going for them. Meanwhile Brian Ching continued to drive the Dynamo. Houston jumped to the lead with a 53rd minute set piece goal from Andre Hainault, and iced it in the 87th off the foot of Carlo Costly. The closest KC got was a PK appeal in the 77th minute, which was denied. Despite the huge crowd behind them, KC couldn't really threaten Houston. I guess your fancy new stadium isn't a sure win after all. Funny how that works.

In the Western final, the LA Galaxy just proved too much for RSL. To their credit, both teams slugged it out all night. I hate to use analogies from other sports for soccer, but this was clearly like two heavyweights hitting it out toe to toe right to the end. The teams traded first half goals, first LA got a PK from Landycakes, then Saborio scored on a set piece for RSL.

The sides came out of half time at 1-1, but LA took their chances where RSL didn't. The Galaxy got goals from Magee and Keane to seal it up, though RSL was fighting and creating chances right to the end. LA got the job done, period. I said before the match that these really were the two best teams in MLS, and they proved it tonight. Great match.

No comments:

Post a Comment