Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Bundesliga Blurb: Bayern Munich vs, Borussia Monchengladbach

Ok, so I'm still a little new to this Bundesliga thing. I only get what ESPN 3 gives me. I did manage to take in two matches in week 1, and enjoyed them both.

This was my first chance to see Bayern outside of Champions League play. They were a pretty fun bunch to watch, and it looked like the atmosphere in the stadium was great. In the off-season, they signed 'keeper Manuel Neuer away from Schalke. Kind of pissed me off, but I doubted Schalke would be able to hold him.

Monchengladbach has not had the best of luck against Bayern. They had only won at Bayern once in Bundesliga history coming into this match. Last year Bayern edged into the Champions League play-in spot, while Gladbach needed a playoff to avoid relegation.

Munich, as predicted, had most of the possession, particularly in the first half. However, the longer the match wore on without quality chances, the more confident Gladbach got. Plus, lets face it, Gladbach's defense was doing a pretty awesome job.

Unfortunately for Munich, their defense didn't. A defensive blunder coupled with a blunder from their shiny new keeper cost them three points. Gladbach put a rather harmless looking ball into the Munich 18 in the 62nd minute. Boateng, he of ManCity fame, totally missed it and Neuer whiffed on his punch. Igor De Carmago was there to capitalize and gave Gladbach the 0-1 win.

All things being equal, not the best match I've ever seen, but entertaining. I hope to check out more Bundesliga throughout the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment